Saturday, September 22, 2012

wyoming


          I feel like I haven’t written in so long, and so much has happened over the summer months. I can't believe it's almost Fall! There are so many things to write about, so I'll try to keep things in chronological order. In April, I came downstairs one morning to find one of my dad’s characteristic long-winded letters sitting on my placemat. Bottom line, he had written that I should seriously consider enrolling at the University of Wyoming, to make college even more of an adventure than it already is and to continue my pursuit of rugged individualism. I had always joked to my friends that I would end up there, and my dad’s letter really got me thinking. 
          At this point, I was wait-listed at a few schools, but I had a pretty clear idea of where I was going to deposit. I called my dad and told him I would consider it if we could visit campus to take a tour, and learn a little more about the programs they have for my major. Nearing the end of Spring break, we quickly booked two tickets to Denver, rented a car, and spent three nights in Wyoming. It was the most random thing I have ever done in my life, but the trip was well worth it. We left on a Friday, but our tour wasn’t until Monday, so we had a weekend to kill. I suggested we go to Cody, WY, since we had a great time there on one of our western vacations two summers earlier. It was a five hour drive, but we took turns, loving the 75 mph speed limit, lack of traffic, and wide open spaces. 
downtown Cody, Wyoming

a real cowboy (he travels all over the U.S. with three horses)


dad at the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody


we love the wide open spaces

          






















          





          

          First of all, Cody in April is nothing like Cody in July. Like Newburyport, business booms in the summer months, and the rest of the year, it is much like a ghost town. Still, we managed to keep ourselves occupied, poking around downtown, visiting the Buffalo Bill museum, and going to the movies. If nothing else, it was great to spend quality time with my dad in one of our favorite places. 
          On Sunday, we began the haul back to Laramie, home of the university. It’s actually a decent sized city, with plenty of restaurants and shopping centers, wild horses grazing in parking lots and old Ford pick ups on every corner. During our tour the next day, I was surprised by everything I learned about the college; it’s the only 4-year school in the state, so they have a ton of funding and tuition is insanely affordable. Though I applied because of my love for Wyoming, it was my super safety school because their acceptance rate is almost 95%. 
          I brewed things over in my head for a long time, but I ended up deciding that UW was not for me. I hate flying, and the thought of having to buy a ticket and go through TSA whenever I wanted to go home was less than appealing. Plus, my mother pointed out that if I’m bored in Newburyport, I’ll be even more bored in Wyoming. And as usual, she was probably right. Even though I chose to continue my education elsewhere, Wyoming is still one of my favorite places in the world, and I can’t wait to go back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment