Tuesday, October 23, 2012

diana and dad visit


          The third weekend after classes started, my dad and Diana came to visit on Sunday--a much needed taste of home and family, and part of me wanted to return to Newburyport when they left later that night. It’s hard being in an unfamiliar place that is so urban and enormous without having loved ones nearby, though I’m endlessly grateful for the opportunities here in New York. 
While they were here, we had a great time wandering around Manhattan. We stopped into the Public Library (which currently has an excellent exhibit about the evolution of restaurants and fast food), had lunch and coffee, fit in a little bit of shopping, and returned to the Bronx for dinner on Arthur Avenue, the original Little Italy. 
Driving to New York and back in one day is exhausting, and I was really grateful to have my family visit. Seeing them made me feel a lot older and somehow very different; not seeing my sister everyday has been the strangest part of being away, and being able to function without my family and friends from home makes me really proud of myself. I love seeing my family and I make sure to phone home every few days, but I can’t deny that I’m enjoying having a life of my own.

sunday afternoon at the new york public library  



No comments:

Post a Comment