Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Scavenger Hunt in Boston



          A few weeks ago, I ventured into Boston with some friends for a scavenger hunt of sorts. I consider myself to be from Boston, and I think it’s fair to say that my friends are pretty familiar with the city, so it was fun to be tourists for a day. After using my sister’s student ID from her art class to get a free train ride, we followed the freedom trail from North Station to the State House, wandering all over the city.
We spent a while in the North End, which is my favorite part of Boston because it smells amazing, especially in the morning. Passing by a bakery window that was piled with freshly baked bread was impossible to resist, and we shared a baguette while we wandered over to Faneuil Hall. We spent quite some time in Newbury Comics, where I found a Matt Nathanson CD for $5 and a Counting Crows album for $4 in the used CD section. I also couldn’t resist buying a large red magnet that reads “I Survived the William and Kate Royal Wedding, April 29, 2011.” I was really looking for one that I saw online that says “Don’t Panic, There’s Still One Prince Left,” but they didn’t have it.

           To accomplish the scavenger hunt, we split into two groups—the winner is still disputed, but I’m pretty sure my team came out on top. The various tasks we had to accomplish ranged from doing yoga in front of the state house to re-enacting the Boston Massacre, which involved me throwing a “snowball” (a square plastic container) at Gretchen. The questioning stares of other pedestrians just added to the fun. We also went to TJ Maxx to try on the ugliest clothes we could find, undoubtedly irritating the woman working in the fitting room.
Later that day, we trekked back to the North End for gelato, and I waited in a ridiculously long line to get cannolis at Mike’s. We ended up sprinting to North Station, and hurriedly grabbing coffee before jumping on the train home.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely think Becca lying face first on the street and Jackie stepping on her back beats a fake snowball. So your team lost. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wasn't sure if it would be appropriate to put that picture on the internet...

    ReplyDelete