Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Walk to Market Basket


A few days ago, my high school writing class, “241 High”, went on a walk to the local grocery store, which also happens to be my workplace. I jump at any opportunity to miss school, so I was pretty excited about getting to leave for two hours. The purpose of the trip was to look at marketing, specifically for spelling and grammar mistakes. One of the focuses of the class is being able to write for the ‘real world’, so we have focused a little bit on brand marketing in class, especially for food.
 The supermarket, Market Basket, is pretty large, but I was able to find an error on a bag of my favorite chips, and we discovered that a sign printed by the store had mistakes as well. These seemed like careless mistakes, but I realized that something as small as a capital letter in the middle of a sentence could bring down the perceived intelligence level of a company.
For some reason, the school would not allow us to drive ourselves/each other to Market Basket, and no form of transportation other than walking was made available to us. It wasn’t a long walk, but the weather was kind of gross and we had to eat our lunch (sandwiches from D’Angelo) while walking back to school.
It was definitely one of the more unique field trips I’ve taken, second only to being taken in a bus, blindfolded, to a state park and trying to “survive” on our own in seventh grade, an experience that was supposed to relate to Lord of the Flies. Anyway, going to Market Basket was definitely a one-of-a-kind experience, and I hope that there will be more trips like this before I graduate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment