Saturday, March 19, 2011

Favorite Places

1. Wyoming

exploring the badlands
photo: diana russo
If there is a God, Wyoming is his masterpiece. It’s like stepping back in time, and the untouched, untamed land is completely and utterly breathtaking. Everything is open, and the endless, empty, open road goes on for miles. I travelled to Wyoming with my family last year, driving four thousand miles across the Midwest, and Wyoming was my favorite state. We went to a rodeo, rode horses through the mountains, and wandered around downtown Cody.

















2. New York City

diana and i, spring in manhattan
            One of the most alive places I have ever been to. It is one of the places where I feel the strongest sense of belonging. New York is so much more diverse than Newburyport, so much busier, and filled with interesting people and interesting places. I have been to New York more times than I can remember, and the city holds a special place in my family’s heart, especially my dad, who grew up in the city.



photo: diana russo














3. San Francisco

the golden gate bridge
photo: diana russo
            Probably the cutest city ever. Cable cars, the Golden Gate Bridge, brightly colored houses, 
French bakeries on every corner, and farmers’ markets are just a few of the attractions. Steep hills provide gorgeous views of the bay, and the city is filled with history. On my trip two years ago, I visited Coit Tower, the Cable Car Museum, and the original Ghirardelli chocolate factory. There are a lot of young people, as in New York, but the city itself is quieter, and is beautiful in a different way.
diana, dad, and i outside of the ghirardelli chocolate factory
















4. Prince Edward Island, Canada

dalvay-by-the-sea hotel, p.e.i.
            Although a long drive from Newburyport (about 10 hours), it is an absolutely beautiful little island off the coast of Nova Scotia. Outside of the capital, Charlottetown, the island is very rural, with a lot of farmland, seemingly endless two-lane roads, and a beautiful coastline. My mother, sister, and I enjoyed historic sites, afternoon tea, and shopping when we visited.















   

2 comments: